Hurley wins Dreamer and Doer

Senior Nick Hurley poses with Student Services and Administration. He won the Disney Dreamer and Doer award.

photo by Ashley Sharma

photo by Ashley Sharma

Tara Routie, Staff Reporter

On Friday, May 4, senior Nick Hurley got called down to Student Services, not because he needed a last minute credit check, but to be recognized as the recipient of the Disney Dreamer and Doer award.

The Disney Dreamer award recognizes students who have unique accomplishments with positive action, compassions, empathy and creativity. It was established in 1984, and this award is given yearly. Students can self-nominate, or be nominated by a faculty member. Those applying for the award must write an essay explaining how the student has taken action to improve their community, home or school, as well as what inspired that action.

“It was all a surprise to me when I was [chosen],” Hurley said.

Hurley was nominated by counselor Terri Koepsell for his outstanding volunteer work and leadership positions. Hurley was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when he was 6 years old, but that has not stopped him from a life of leadership.

“He has embraced [diabetes] and focuses on living a positive life while impacting others at school and in our community,” Koepsell said.

Hurley is a volunteer coach for youth flag football, and also has volunteered for his church for the past two years. At his church, Hurley leads students ranging from Pre-K to eighth grade. His leadership skills have allowed him to flourish at school as well. In one role, he assists Student Services when they present high school information to incoming freshman.

“He made sure that the students were comfortable enough to ask anything that concerned them about high school,” Koepsell said.

Since he is the recipient of the Disney Dreamer and Doer award, Hurley received four Park hopper passes to Disney World, as well as a certificate.

Despite having a busy schedule of managing Diabetes, volunteering and being a student leader, Hurley takes a rigorous academic schedule, including honors and AP classes. His high GPA earned him the Lamp of Knowledge award, which is given to student athletes who maintain at least a 3.5 GPA. When he graduates, Hurley will walk the stage knowing that he made the faculty’s good side.

“He is always positive, never complaining,” Koepsell said.

1,572 total views, 2 views today