Soccer shuts out Lake Brantley

Midfielder+Stuart+Boyd+gets+ready+for+the+ball+during++a+match+against+Lake+Brantley.+The+team+won+the+game%2C+8-0.+
Midfielder Stuart Boyd gets ready for the ball during  a match against Lake Brantley. The team won the game, 8-0.

Midfielder Stuart Boyd gets ready for the ball during a match against Lake Brantley. The team won the game, 8-0.

photo by Noah Kemper

photo by Noah Kemper

Noah Kemper, Staff Reporter

On Wednesday, Jan. 10 the soccer varsity boys team showed no mercy as they shut out conference opponents Lake Brantley, 8-0.

It did not take long for the team to get on the board as forward Jordan Snoap broke loose and scored the first goal of the game from just inside the box. The team dominated the possession in the first half of the game.

Snoap once again found the back of the net giving the team a 2-0 lead with 20:27 left in the first half. The team’s defense was relentless allowing no shots and clearing every ball in sight.

With 7:17 left in the half, Snoap scored again from outside the box. To finish off the half, Midfielder Nick Moreschi shot into the top left side of the goal, scoring from outside the box. This goal gave the team a huge 4-0 lead heading into the half.

“We had many clean passes so we were able to move the ball well,” Daniel Dearolph said.

After halftime, the team came out firing again as they scored within the first minute of the second half. Midfielder senior Michael Lynch struck early, scoring his first goal of the game, giving the team a 5-0 lead. Two minutes later Snoap scored once more, his fourth goal of the game, tying a school record for most goals in a game.

Lake Brantley called a timeout to try and stop the momentum, but the offense was just too much, as Lynch scored again giving the team a  7-0 lead with 35:16 left in the half. Lake Brantley’s offense finally got past the defense with a shot, just to get denied by the keeper. The team had only given up one corner in the game. With five minutes left, the team finished off the game with an 8-0 mercy rule, scoring the final goal with five minutes left.

The team will play their next game on Jan. 12 at Oviedo.

“The whole game we didn’t really take our foot off the gas so there was high pressure and speed for almost the full duration of the game,” Snoap said.

186 total views, 0 views today