Students prepare for Reflections Art show

Last year junior Da'Zhaun Hicks won for dance choreography and received awards for music composition and literature. This year he is hoping to submit something again.

photo by Teresa Neris

photo by Teresa Neris

Melissa Donovan, Assistant Editor

This year’s PTSA Reflections Art Program focuses on the theme: “Within Reach,” for students who would like to display their artistic side through dance, film, literature, music composition, photography or visual arts. Participants in the program compete for awards going up in level from school, county, state or national.

The deadline for submissions is Monday, Nov. 27 and submissions along with student entry forms must be sent to the PTSA HHS mailbox prior to reviewing the rules packet and consent form which all can be found on the school’s website.

“The goal is to encourage Pre-K to 12th grade students to explore their talents and express themselves creatively in six different art categories and to receive positive recognition for original works of art inspired by a theme set annually,” Hagerty High school Reflections chair Teresa Neris said.

For students with disabilities, there is a special artist division to ensure that all students have the opportunity to take part in the program.

Last year there were four students who all made it to state level, all competing in different media areas. Out of those four, junior Da’Zhaun Hicks received the most awards for his work in dance choreography and literature as well as a honorable mention in music composition.

“I had a great experience with the program last year,” Hicks said. “If there is still time this year, I will submit something.”

Some students, like Hicks, are still creating their work for the program.

“I did Reflections once before in elementary school and I really liked it then, but I am not sure I want to submit anything,” sophomore Juliana Joyner said. “I enjoy creating art in many different forms and I am considering submitting some photography pieces I have been working on.”

Those who have taken or are in art classes have found that the techniques and skills they have learned help in the process of producing and submitting work.

“Using my own skills and the ones that I have gotten from class, I feel more prepared for this,” junior Danielle Krietemeyer said. “Through narrowing down a specific media I would like to use, I will be submitting a visual arts piece that will show people what the theme, ‘Within Reach’ means to me.”

Additional information can be found here and for questions you can send an email to HagertyReflections@gmail.com.

604 total views, 2 views today