JV blanks Oviedo

Back to Article
Back to Article

JV blanks Oviedo

Defensive back Jackson Scott sacks Oviedo's quarterback. The defense only allowed three first downs in JV's 31-0 victory.

photo by Sharon Sheridan

photo by Sharon Sheridan

photo by Sharon Sheridan

Bryson Turner, Opinions Editor

The JV team achieved victory Thursday night, Sept. 8, shutting out Oviedo 31-0.

“We did amazing. We scored on almost every possession we had,” running back Gabriel Boyle said.

Boyle was one of four different players who scored a touchdown during the game, along with running backs Luke Kielma and Sammy Cordero, and quarterback Jack Benzija.

“It was pretty much my center and my guard. I just had to walk in,” Benzija said.

Meanwhile, on a dominant defensive day, defensive back Jackson Scott managed to recover a fumble, forced by lineman Scott Bentz, that put the game away.

“I was just in the right place at the right time,” Scott said.

Although the win was lopsided, the team did not escape unscathed, as both Benzija and Cordero left the game with minor injuries, a bone bruise and a sore neck respectively, according to coach Sean Rivera.

“Always feels good to beat the rival team,” Cordero said.

Earlier in the day, a two touchdown performance by running back D.J. McCunney was unable to lift the freshman team over Oviedo, as they lost 34-14.

57 Views