Filed under News, Showcase

Unleashed dance team places third at regionals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Unleashed varsity dance team rehearses before their winter show on Dec. 14, 2018.

photo by Margaret Taylor

photo by Margaret Taylor

photo by Margaret Taylor

On Saturday, March 9, the varsity Unleashed Dance Team travelled to Seminole High School to compete in the regional championships, placing third out of 10 schools.

“They announced our name and we all just screamed,” junior Ashley Smith said. “It was just a great moment.”

The team performed four group numbers in the jazz, lyrical, hip-hop, and pom categories.  Out of the four, the judges dropped the lowest score to find the average for their overall score.

Due to placing third, the team is also considered state champions. At the competition the team also received the judge’s choice award for hip-hop as well as multiple technique and choreography awards.

The group has been working on the routine since the summer. They also performed their dances early in March in the Student Choreography Showcase to further prepare for regionals.

“We have a show before regionals just to get it out in front of an audience, and then regionals is us getting ready for nationals that are coming up in two weeks,” junior Tatianna Ramos said.

The team also competed in solos and duets. Sophomore Fallon Chapman and juniors Faith Hammack and Soomin Eum were the three highest scored solos in the 15-16 age group and senior Laura Perez placed second for 17-18 age group.

At the end of the competition, the competition hosts have what they call a “Solo Showdown”. Smith performed a duet with Rita Smith, a middle school student from Lawton Chiles, and placed first. Sophomores Nicole Beltran and Julia Squitteri also placed first in their duet age group.

The team will travel to Dallas, Texas from March 21-23, to compete at nationals against schools from across the nation.

“I always tell them to go out and your best, do everything that we have asked you to do, leave everything out of the floor and after that it’s up to somebody else,” dance teacher Diane Hasenbank said. “I’m super excited to see what happens at nationals this year.”

About the Writer
Jessica Maldonado, Staff Reporter

Jessica Maldonado is a junior at Hagerty High School and this is her second year on staff. As a little kid she always had a passion for writing about anything...