Track and field competes at Brian Jaeger Invite

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Jeremy Fredrick runs the 100 m dash at the Lake Highland Invitational.

photo by Geno Simmons

photo by Geno Simmons

photo by Geno Simmons

On Saturday, March 9, the boys and girls track and field teams competed at the Brian Jaeger Invite at Winter Park High School. The boys team finished 19th in a 32 team field and the girls finished 27th overall.

The boys team was led by senior Andrew Sauvao who scored 13 of the team’s 17.5 points. Sauvao placed second in shotput and fourth in discus. Sauvao also set two personal records with 14.07 m in shotput and 40.12 m in discus.

“I threw really well,” Sauavo said. “I set two PR’s in both my events and I was really able to help my team out.”

The girls team was led by junior Safiyah Tobgy who placed sixth in pole vault, and senior Aryann Johnson, who placed 7th in shotput. This meet was the largest meet of the year, and there were more than 20 schools there, some events had over 80 people entered, so to place in an event was significant.

“There were like over 50 people in shotput,” Johnson said. “To place seventh out of that is pretty crazy.”

This meet also held unofficial events such as freshman-sophomore 1600 m, the javelin throw, and the 2000 m steeple chase. Senior Jimmy Munro ran the steeple chase and made his way to second in the school record books. Neither team had anyone run in the freshman-sophomore race, but Sauvao once again led the way in javelin, placing ninth out of 16 people.

This is the lowest either team has placed all season and it’s the second to last meet before playoffs begin. The last regular season meet of the season will be at Trinity Prep on Wednesday, March 13.

Sauvao is ranked in the top four in the district and is expected to qualify for regionals. The district meet will take place after spring break at Embry-Riddle University in Daytona Beach.

“I’m excited for Wednesday and for playoffs to start,” Sauvao said. “I’m trying to set more PR’s and make it to regionals.”

• Sophomore Jeremy Fredrick runs the 100 m dash at the Lake Highland Invitational.

photo by Geno Simmons

• Junior Kaylee Rodd runs the 4x800 at the Lake Highland Invite.

photo by Geno Simmons

• Senior Adam Mastrobuono runs the 4x800 at the trinity prep invite.

photo by Geno Simmons

• Senior Ryan Self runs the 1600 meter race at the trinity prep invite.

photo by Geno Simmons

6 Views