Filed under News, Showcase

Mu Alpha Theta holds Pi Day bake sale

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mu Alpha Theta holds Pi Day bake sale

Sophomore Michael Rygh turns in his Pi Day form. Math teacher Aglaia Christodoulides, along with several other teachers, handed these slips out for students to select the pies they wished to purchase.

Blueberry, apple dutch and peach cobbler – iconic pie flavors available to those who participated in the school’s annual pie sale in commemoration of Pi Day, March 14. The Pi Day sale was hosted by the Mu Alpha Theta club, which is an honor society that focuses on tutoring students and entering students in mathematics competitions. This was done under the supervision of the club sponsor, math teacher Dan Conybear.

In the past, Mu Alpha Theta has held this event to raise money for the regional and statewide competitions that it enters. However, after the car wreck that impacted the Rocha family, they decided to do something different.

“The Rochas have had to endure, and are continuing to endure, a terrible tragedy,” Conybear said. “This is just our little contribution to help them out.”

Following DARE Week, which raised over $10,000, all proceeds from the Pi Day fundraiser were also donated to the Rocha family. In total, they raised about $6,800, and their net profit was about half of that amount.

“I’m glad we could help out the Rochas even more with this. Plus, I got some extra credit for my algebra class,” sophomore Nathan Do said.

Pi Day has become an increasingly popular fundraiser, but the added participation of more teachers made this year’s one of the most successful sales yet.

“Before, we’d only do it with the upper house math teachers, but this year we decided to expand it to lower house and non-math teachers,” junior Nathan Weaver, a member of Mu Alpha Theta, said. “It became more a communal thing than a math club thing.”

The fundraiser itself accepted orders from students until Friday, March 1. The pies will be delivered to students in their respective math classes on Wednesday, March 13 and Thursday, March 14.