Filed under News

Bryson Turner runner-up for journalist of the year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Bryson Turner submitted this photo for his required action photo for the application.

After two months spent creating a portfolio to showcase his skills in journalism, senior Bryson Turner placed second for Florida’s Student Journalist of the Year.

“One of the reasons I entered this contest was so that I can compare myself to my peers and to where I can improve,” Turner said. “Entering this contest was not just about one article I wrote, this is about my entire body of work, it’s me.”

Seniors across the state entered the contest sponsored by the Florida Scholastic Press Association, and they had to submit a portfolio of their work, a self-analytical essay, a resume, a transcript, an action photo and three letters of recommendation.

Applicants were judged by a rubric that evaluated the candidate’s background, news gathering skills, entrepreneurship, as well as leadership and teambuilding abilities.

To complete all criteria, Turner had to go out of his comfort zone to step-up in categories he believed he could better at.

“(For example) in photojournalism, I am not a photographer, but I went to take pictures of a basketball game anyway so I could have something to put in that category,” Turner said.

On Feb. 26 at noon, Florida Scholastic Press Association announced first, second and third place winners on Twitter.

“It felt like a weight off my shoulders (when I found out). I was nervous all morning and I kept on thinking back on everything I’ve done, wondering if it was enough,” Turner said.

Along with the recognition for second place, Turner will be awarded a $600 scholarship, will be recognized at the FSPA banquet held on April 12 and the knowledge that as a journalist, he is one of the best in the state.

“Part of the reason I entered was because I wanted to test myself against every other senior in the state of Florida,” Turner said.  “(I wanted to) see how I, and my work, stack up compared to the rest.”

About the Writer
Jessica Maldonado, Staff Reporter

Jessica Maldonado is a junior at Hagerty High School and this is her second year on staff. As a little kid she always had a passion for writing about anything...