Filed under Showcase, Sports

Boys soccer finishes second in conference

Outside+midfielder+Evan+Sorace+maintains+possession+against+a+Lyman+defender.+Sorace+scored+on+a+penalty+kick+to+help+the+team+to+a+4-0+shutout.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Outside midfielder Evan Sorace maintains possession against a Lyman defender. Sorace scored on a penalty kick to help the team to a 4-0 shutout.

With little time left in the game, forward Collin Miller moved the ball down the middle of the field, scoring in the top left corner of the box to leave no doubt in a 5-0 victory against rival Oviedo.

On Jan, 11, the boys soccer team continued a strong season with a dominant 5-0 win over Oviedo. The boys team ended the regular season with a 13-1-2 record and 11-1-2 in the conference. The team was undefeated at home with an 8-0-0 record. Their next matchup is on Jan. 30 in a district tournament semifinal against Seminole at 7 p.m.

“This year’s group is all about success as a team. We have seven players who have recorded over 15 points so it is hard for other teams to stop us,” said head coach Micheal McAvoy.

The team’s early success came from winning key home games, including close victories against Seminole and Lake Mary. The boys team has given up very few goals at home and recorded several shutouts.

Although the team has had great success, they could not hold off Lake Mary late in the season. Despite the loss, the boys team finished out the season strong by defeating Lyman and, according to Max Preps, finished the season ranked first in the state of Florida (5A class) and ranked 23rd in the nation.

After the win against Lyman, the team clinched the second seed in the district playoffs, and they will play one match at home because of their seeding. The leading scorers for the boys team include forward Park Wick, Midfielder Connor O’Malley and forward Collin Miller.

“Our team has played extremely well throughout our season. We have all worked very hard for where we are now, and are ready for the playoffs,” Miller said.

A big part of to the team’s success is the back line. The group does not allow many fast break points, and always tried to control possession of the ball. The team has only given up 11 goals in 15 matches, including a 3-0 shutout in their last home game against Lyman. Defensive players goalkeeper Abdul Muqeet, defender David Dickerson, defender Stuart Boyd, defender David Boyd, and midfielder O’Malley have stood out on defense.

“We have had an amazing season on both sides of the ball, improving our wins to 13,” Wick said.

Against Lyman the team came out aggressively by controlling possession of the ball and constantly attacking. Early in the second half, the boys team scored a goal from just outside the left side of the box. After the goal, the boys team allowed no opportunities keeping the score 1-0 leading into halftime.

When the second half started, the boys team continued to apply pressure and causing fast breaks. Only ten minutes into the second half, forward Wick scored a goal from the center of the box extending the score 2-0. After the second goal, Lyman wasn’t able to come from behind and allowed one more late goal before the final whistle blew, securing a higher seed in the playoffs.

“We have rebounded nicely and are in good form heading into the playoffs,” McAvoy said.