Filed under News

Chorus students perform at All-County

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chorus students perform at All-County

The girls sing Love is a Rain of Diamonds by Gwyneth Walker. In order to prepare, time was spent practicing in and out of class with many professionals.

photo by Millennium Middle School

photo by Millennium Middle School

photo by Millennium Middle School

On Tuesday, Oct. 20, 12 chorus students traveled to the annual Chorus All-County concert and clinic held at Millennium Middle School to perform and hone their skills. This event showcases the talent of the top performers in Seminole County.

“Every performance opportunity provides a unique experience for artists to experience something new,” chorus teacher Victoria Rathbun said. “This develops us as performers and helps us grow in our craft.”

Twelve singers represented the school at the concert:  James Bryant, Lainey Butler, Bethany Champlin, Jon Chapel, Max Griffin, Kayden Howell, Adam Johnson, Brandon Lawhorn, Ryan Lishman, Deirdre Meekins, Madison Walker and Avery Watson.

“It was my first time performing at a big chorus event so it was different, but definitely a lot of fun,” Watson said. “Everyone was so talented.”

The students performed several songs including Bogoroditse Devo, The Storm is Passing Over, Love is a Rain of Diamonds, When You are Old, and Nyon Nyon.

In order to prepare, students attended two SCPS director-led evening rehearsals, one at Lake Mary High School and the other at Lake Howell High School. They also rehearsed for the entire day before their concert with their assigned clinician, Jason Longtin from the College of Central Florida. Students worked during class time and on their own to ensure they knew the music.

Chorus has many upcoming events including a featured performance as an Honor Choir for Epcot’s Candlelight Processional and the winter concert.

The full concert can be viewed here:

About the Writer
Emily Cosio, News Editor

Emily Cosio is a senior at Hagerty and this is her third year on the staff. She's the news editor and enjoys writing news briefs and features. Other than...